Avid planner or spontaneous explorer? Whatever your philosophy, this is where your thoughts of spending a quiet day at home come to die. Search by date or popular category to find the perfect event for savouring urban life.
- This event has passed.
Sonar+D 2016 @ Fira Montjuïc, Barcelona
Thu, 16 Jun 2016 ⏐1:00 pm - Sat, 18 Jun 2016 ⏐8:00 pm
Sonar+D 2016 @ Fira Montjuïc, Barcelona
Sónar+D 2016, the 4th International Congress for Digital Culture and Creative Technologies will be held in Barcelona on 16, 17 and 18 June and takes place within Sónar by Day.
More than 4,500 professionals from 50 countries will participate in 150 activitiesdistributed between the following Areas: the Congress (talks, panels, workshops and networking sessions); the Expo Area (the exhibition space for prototypes and new technologies including a new dedicated zone for start-ups); the Live Performance program (with installations, live shows and VR experiences).
Among this year’s topics fo discussion at Sónar+D 2016: the impact of algorithms on cultural tastemaking and its effect on our daily lives; the challenges facing artists to use technology as a transformative tool with cultural and social impact; alternative models for greater Internet decentralization; the links between culture and activism; the narrative and experiential possibilities of virtual reality or the potential of data to become the raw material for artistic creation.
- Key figures include producer, thinker and creative agitator Brian Eno, who will give the Inaugural Conference; one of the public faces of TOR (The Onion Router, the deep web browser), the renowned journalist and American computer security researcher Jacob Appelbaum.
Also giving talks and lectures at the Congress will be musicians and producers Jean-Michel Jarre, Richie Hawtin, Carsten Nicolai and Kode9 alongside respected journalists such as Joe Muggs, Cherie Hu, Philip Sherburne or Lisa Blanning.
- Spotify and the BBC will discuss the rise of the algorithm and its effects on musical tastemaking. A “congress within a congress”, “Decentralize” co-presented by the Elevate festival and We Are Europe, will call for the decentralization of the Internet through a series of lectures and workshops. Also of note will be the talk by Adam Clarke, the leading voice of the Minecraft user community, who will explain the potential of video games as an agent for positive change and as an educational tool.
- Prestigious scientific institutions such as CERN (the European Organization of Nuclear Research) and ALMA, the world largest astronomical observatory located in Chile, will explain the how and why of their artists in residence programs and the importance of forstering relationships between the world of art and science.
- The Networking Area, exclusive to pass holders, will include activities aimed at seeking funding (Meet the Investor), mentoring projects (Meet the Expert) and the Job Market Place, a space to facilitate the hiring of the best talent.
- At the MarketLab, programmers, creatives, technologists, hackers, artists and designers will meet with festival audiences to develop projects in real time, with installations and collective experiments: Spotify and Barcelona studio Domestic Data Streamers will present “The Timekeeper” an installation developed exclusively for Sónar in which patterns of user behaviour are visualized, allowing visitors to revisit their musical memories and create new memories for the future.
- In the field of music technology, Eurecat (The Technology Centre of Catalonia) will present a number of projects incorporating 3D and Binaural Sound, including an installation that will permit users to literally, ‘move sounds in space’.
- Also present will be the Zaragoza based Lab, Makeroni, creator of “Eye of Horus”, a wearable device that recently won an award from NASA, allowing to control any device just looking at them. They will also introduce theelmet called “Nevera Mental” (Mental Fridge), a vending machine activated by brainwaves.
- Little Sun, the socialy minded start-up founded by artist Olafur Eliasson, will present ‘Little Sun Charge’, a solar powered charger that will provide electricity and foster growth in areas without access to the electrical grid.
- The Maker and 3D printing communities will have a dedicated space, with the inclusion of IMPRIMIDA, Barcelona Art and Design Advanced Manufacturing Camp, an initiative by the Institute for Advanced Architecture of Catalonia (IAAC), which brings together artists and designers who are experimenting with the use advanced digital manufacturing in art, music, design and fashion. This activity is part of ‘IN(3D)USTRY’, the new professional event committed to the 3D printing sector that will launch after Sónar+D.
- This year’s edition increases activities aimed at attracting funding and talent with new initiatives such as‘Startup Garden by RICOH’, which again highlights it’s focus on creative industries, allowing 30 pre-selected startups to present their projects, receive training and meet with leading international investors; the ‘Sónar Innovation Challenge’ where several companies put forward technological problems to be solved by multidisciplinary teams of artists, musicians, engineers, designers and hackers; and the Job Market Place, which fosters the meeting of professionals with employers in the creative industries.
- A total of 15 tech shows will take place, across various of the festival stages, including Jean-Michel Jarre, Kode9 and Lawrence Lek, Raster-Noton, Howling and Gazelle Twin, among others.
- Two monumental immersive installations: “Earthworks” by British studio Semiconductor for SónarPLANTA at Sónar by Day; and “Microtonal Wall” by New York artist Tristan Perich in the Mies van der Rohe Foundation.
- Realities+D premieres featuring the latest virtual reality experiences presented at the most recent Tribeca and Sundance festivals, by studios such as Wevr and directors such as Felix and Paul.
Sonar+D will be held in Hall 4 of Fira Montjuïc, a spirally configured space capturing the event’s spirit of interaction and networking.
All Sónar+D activities will be open to the general public, except for the networking sessions, which are exclusive to Sónar+D bagde holders.
Sónar+D badge holders will also enjoy preferential access to conferences until seating capacity is reached.
Workshops will require website registration.
The Sónar+D schedule for badge holders is from 10:00am to 9:30pm, with doors open to the public between 1:00pm and 8:00pm.