LA based duo The Midnight have released the anticipated EP ‘Horror Show’, out 19th March. EP track ‘Ghost in Your Stereo’ launches with a lyric video by Kidmograph (Justin Bieber, The Strokes) alongside the release.
Leading into the EP ‘The Stranger’ provides an eerie soundtrack as its opener, leading effortlessly to ‘Ghost In Your Stereo’, which shudders with danceable and dark grooves. ‘Neon Medusa’ combines fluttering retro synths, driving kick drums and a killer guitar solo with Tyler Lyle’s flawless vocals. ‘Devil Make A Deal’ and ‘Good In Red’ showcases the band’s signature sound in full force, and lastly Patti Smith penned ‘Because The Night (Feat. Nikki Flores)’ ends with a powerful duet to close the 5 track EP.
‘Horror Show’ now arrives with its full release and follows after the LA band’s latest LP release ‘Monsters’ that achieved #85 in the UK Top 100 Album Chart, #1 Itunes Electronic Album in five countries, and #9 in Billboard Album Sales. As well as achieving BBC Radio 1 support from tastemaker Jack Saunders who supported ‘Deep Blue’ and announcing that they’ll be returning to British shores in 2022 to headline London’s Brixton Academy as part of their UK/EU tour.
“Through the process of making the album art for Monsters and thinking about the ephemera in a teenager’s bedroom, we began to ask ourselves questions about the television,” The Midnight explain. “What was that shadowy figure coming out of the static screen? The world of late-night television that I remember from my teenage years was much older than the era in which I grew up. The Twilight Zone. The black and white Universal Monster films from the 50s and 60s. Plan 9 From Outer Space. That world of intrigue seemed so much more romantic and timeless through adolescent eyes.
They continue: “More than the rise of big-budget horror movies, that quiet era of Creature From The Black Lagoon, House on Haunted Hill, and Plan 9 From Outer Space did far more to inform me about the darkness and strangeness in the human condition, than did the more brutal and gory films that would come later. It was those films you just stumbled upon, that you couldn’t look away from- the Kurosawa films, Hitchcock, the melodramas of shows like Dark Shadows. This is our little homage to the eerie romance of the stumbled upon late-night black and white horror film.”
Consisting of Tyler Lyle, a songwriter from the Deep South, and Danish producer Tim McEwan, The Midnight formed in 2012 after meeting at a co-writing workshop in North Hollywood. Inspired in part by the score for Drive and the retro-synth genre growing around its release, the pair wrote two singles ‘WeMoveForward’ and ‘Gloria’, that would later be released as part of their debut EP ‘Days of Thunder’. The duo then released 12-track LP Endless Summer in 2016 and Nocturnal the year after, which spent several weeks as a Bandcamp best-seller. This followed with 2018’s ‘Kids’ that reached #1 on the Billboard ‘Dance/Electronic’ charts. Their most recent album, Monsters, came last year, an acclaimed LP described by The Express as their “most stylish and creative music yet”.
‘Horror Show’ arrives as a landmark EP from the rising LA band The Midnight.
Stream the EP in full HERE
- October 29, 2021 – October 31, 2021 – Outside Lands – San Francisco, CA
- April 20, 2022 – Rockefeller Music Hall – Oslo, Norway
- April 21, 2022 – Fållan – Stockholm, Sweden
- April 22, 2022 – Vega- Copenhagen, Denmark
- April 24, 2022 – Große Freiheit 36 – Hamburg, Germany
- April 25, 2022 – Metropol – Berlin, Germany
- April 26, 2022 – Botanique / Rotonde – Brussels, Brussels
- April 28, 2022 – Kulturkirche Köln – Cologne, Germany
- April 29, 2022 – Paradiso – Amsterdam, Netherlands
- April 30, 2022 – Ninkasi Kao – Lyon, France
- May 1, 2022 – Sala Apolo – Barcelona, Spain
- May 3, 2022 – La Cigale – Paris, France
- May 4, 2022 – Neue Theaterfabrik – Munich, Germany
- May 5, 2022 – Zoom Frankfurt – Frankfurt, Germany
- May 7, 2022 – O2 Academy Brixton – London, UK
- May 9, 2022 – SWG3 Galvanizers – Glasgow, Scotland
- May 10, 2022 – Vicar Street – Dublin, Ireland
# # #
To find out more about The Midnight, go to: