Art journeys into Romanian public spaces
There is an increasing number of murals to be found in the Bucharest public spaces. They mark affective areas and polarize communities. Feeder proposes new routes for urban exploration of artistic interventions that regenerate public space.
We introduce 11 spots for alternative art journeys that promote urban exploration, access collective memory and reveal, layer-by-layer, the multi-culturalism of the city, enhancing feelings of belonging and affection towards Bucharest, a place-making process.
The residents of Bucharest are always fascinated to discover new street artworks on a human scale, designed to appropriate the public space. Tourists are drawn by artistic interventions that act as a street sign, and by the alternative exploration offered by this trail of attitude and color.
Continue reading and be sure to scroll all the way down for a google map to help you explore art in public spaces.
1. Fauna Graphic x Urban Collector, mural, 2017, 11 iunie street x Ovidiu blind-alley
2. Vhils “Brancusi”, 2016, UNARTE
The innovative character of murals consists in using artistic processes and tools to activate collective memory and to humanize the city, often degraded, segmented by fences and advertising messages. Thus, the benefits of the urban regeneration processes, through art, flow and return to the community, which develops the habit of signaling and intervening in cultural brownfields, problematic areas, but with relevant potential.
These incredible murals are drawn using spray paint of famous world brands like Ironlak, Molotow or Flame paint.
Artistic interventions in the public space increase the quality of life and, unreservedly, increase the value of the area concerned, making it visible and attractive for residents, beneficiaries and potential investors.
3. IRLO, Obie, Kero (NOM crew) “Don Quijote vs Windmills”, 2017, Arthur Verona street
4. Pisica Pătrată la Teatrul de vară Capitol, Constantin Mille street, 2016
5. Pisica Pătrată @ Cinema Marconi (Dacia), 2016, 137 Calea Griviței
6. Pisică Pătrată @ Street Delivery, 2016, Cărturești, Magheru bd.
Sweet Damage Crew, 2016, Splaiul Independentei 267, Grozavesti area.
Unfortunately this nice piece of street art was removed the same day we published the article. So sad. 🙁
7. Sweet Damage Crew, 2016, Point, Eremia Grigorescu street
8. IRLO – Labirint gallery, 2016, Splaiul Independenței 42
9. Urbanprophet Robert Obert & Johns, 2017, Chimopar, Theodor Pallady street
The urban regeneration of Bucharest is a multi-disciplinary ongoing process in which feeder, readers and partners have been actively participating since 2004.
Urban regeneration is located at the convergence between disciplines and treats an area used in the past and now out of use, which has the capacity to be reactivated by participatory interventions for the benefit of the community.
Artistic interventions in the public space are seen as an opportunity, not only of a functional but also a cultural scale, with effects in all aspects of public life and in the inner character of a society.
11. KITRA – Tudor. Personal Tailor, Calea Floreasca 112
Here is the map of all the places mentioned in the article.
images © feeder.ro & the authors